Friday, February 13, 2009

Estoy aqui.

Well, I´m here! For those who haven´t already heard, the first adventure began when I missed my flight from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Asuncion, Paraguay... thankfully I FINALLY found a Delta representative who could help me, so he got me on the next flight an hour later. Yay! When I was flying over Asuncion I noticed that everything is either very green or orangey-brown... trees and grass or dirt roads, basically. It is a big city, with your basic modern conveniences- malls, restaraunts, grocery stores. If you´ve been to any Latin American city it´s very similar. Children crowd your car begging for money or selling things, dogs roam everywhere. But thats just in the heart of the city. You get about 5 miles outside the center and its people living in poverty for miles and miles. I have cows that like to walk around outside my apartment, grazing in the street. :)
The school is called Nuevo Horizonte, or New Horizons. It is well organized and everyone is incredibly friendly. I did teachery things today like make bulletin boards and cut foam letters... so strange for me, Steve! School starts Monday and it looks like for now I´ll be helping with the English class, they got very excited when they found out I can sing because neither of the English teachers can and dont want to subject the kids to their voices but they love it. I´ll also be working with the children to send letters to their sponsors. Every child is sponsored, mostly people in the states, since the parents cant afford an education. Right now it goes up to 8th grade, but they´re adding a grade every year so this is the first year for that grade.
Its already been a difficult transition, living alone, no one speaks English and my Spanish leaves much to be desired. But I can sense, even now, that it´s going to be life changing. It definitely won´t be easy, but it will be worth it in the long run.
My apartment doesn´t have internet yet, Im waiting on a password that no one seems to know, but when it does I´ll be updating this thing pretty regularly. Right now I´m relying on the internet cafe around the corner... In the meantime I´m asking for prayers! That I will make friends here, learn the language quickly, learn my way around, stay safe, and ward off the homesickness. Oh, and double prayers for internet access in my apartment, por favor. :)
Muchisimas gracias!

4 comments:

Sherie said...

Wow! I hadn't even realized you were leaving so soon and that you'd be there already :) Definitely will be praying for you Emily (and for better internet!) - it's going to be incredible, no matter how challenging! Please keep us posted!

Cheryl & Sherie said...

I can't believe you're already down there!! Congrats on making it there... sorry to hear about the trouble with the flight, though! I will definitely be praying for you... especially for the homesickness. I remember how hard that was for me during my 1st year of college and that was only 5 hours away! I'll be checking back in as often as I can - stay safe =)

Rachel said...

oh what an adventure! i love you

Unknown said...

you are a baller. tu español mejorará. prometo :) Dios es un dios muy grande...más grande que sus dudas, preocupaciones, y miedos...y más grande que el internet. claro. te amo chichi!