Monday, February 16, 2009

Nuevos Amigos.

My first weekend in Paraguay is over! And it went pretty well, actually. I was a little nervous about what I was going to do, but another missionary couple, Carol and Donald, called and offerend to take me around Saturday and then I could stay the night at their house and go to church with them Sunday. I, of course, accepted. They are a really fun couple in their mid 30s and have the most adorable 4 year old daughter, Cora. She is a talker for sure. :) I'll try to get pictures soon and put some up. We spent Saturday driving around and we found some lotion for me, one of the things I forgot to bring with me. Then we went to a rural church they have been attending. The church had an emapanda dinner and we watched A Walk In The Clouds with Keanu Reeves! Happy Valentines Day to me! Haha! :) I'm pretty sure Christy used to love that movie and we watched it all the time, but that was years ago. Anyway, that was actually a lot of fun and I met some sweet people.
Sunday I went with them to a different church, they have been swapping between 2 churches. The pastor introduced me and I stood at the front while everyone prayed for me. I love the way people pray here. It doesnt have to be flowery or pretty, and honestly, most times you have no idea what anyone is saying because everyone prays aloud at the same time! Its fantastic! Its like their prayers just wrap around you. They all stretch out their hands towards you, much like in the states, but then they all start praying at the same time. And it starts out normal sounding, semi quiet, but then it builds until in the middle of it some of the people are practically shouting, then it slowly gets quieter until somehow they all know exactly when to stop and everyone says "Amen". I love it.
After church we got some lunch, which was also strange because all of the grocery stores have food courts in them. Not just the malls. The grocery stores. So bizarre to me, but they arent too bad, its just a bunch of buffet-style Paraguayan food that you load on your plate, then you pay by the weight, not the type of food you buy. They actually weigh your plate when you check out. :) Oh, and I've taken up hot sauce on my Milanesa (Martin, you would be proud... although it is kind of wussy hot sauce, I like the flavor!) Then we went and I got a watch, which I never thought important before the loss of my cellphone, and a digital alarm clock, which I never thought would be hard to find but it was.... and I went to a grocery store that gets an american shipment in once a year and they just got it in! I bought peanut butter! And ziploc bags! And REAL salad dressing! Praise God. ;) Seriously though, they dont make that stuff here.
I went to church with another missionary that teaches English at the school, Tim, last night. He spoke because their pastor was doing something else. I met a teacher at the school, Margarita, who is the leader of a woman's group in Lambare, where the school is, and I'm going to try to start going to that!
School started this morning! We had devotions at 7:15 and the kids got here at 7:30am. I'm starting to meet more people and already am understanding Spanish a little better. Still working on the speaking though. But its so strange, because I've started thinking in Spanglish in my head. Most thoughts are in English, but then some will be in Spanish. It's so weird! But I'm counting that as a positive step in speaking fluent Spanish. :) The people who work here are just now starting to get organized, so I didn't have much to do today, but apparently there is a ton of stuff to do, they just have to find it or something. So I'm waiting patiently, content to use the internet in one of the offices instead!
No good update on the internet in my apartment. I finally got the password, and it tells me I'm connected, but then something, for some reason, still won't let me connect to the internet. If there are any computer wizards out there who have a clue, help me out!!!! Perla, one of the secretaries, is supposed to be trying to find someone who can help but she's pretty busy. Although I think I found a friend in her! She's 19 and hilarious and puts up with my lousy spanish. And she lives around the corner from me. So yay for friends!
Anyway, I think this post is long enough..... One of my biggest prayers as I got here was that God would give me a passion for this country and the people and I think that He has been. I'm starting to look forward to what He has in store for me while I'm here! Keep on praying!

Hasta.

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am really glad you are meeting people! That is great. I hope that your peanut butter lasts you a long time ;-)