Friday, March 20, 2009

Sangre.

This past Tuesday I gave blood. Now, giving blood in a third world country was most definitely NOT on my list of "things to do while in Paraguay". But here is what I have come to understand about the medical system here, whether right or wrong: Like most everything else here, it is just one more thing oppressed by the corrupt governmental system. Therefore, I want to do what is in my power to help, however small that is. For the majority of the country there are few options for medicine. Either go untreated or sit in a dark, old, and dirty hopsital with hundreds of others waiting for days to be seen. This is the scene I walked into on Tuesday.

First, you should know how I got to be in this situation! A girl from my church, Diana, who is also in our women's bible study, has an older brother who got in a motorcycle accident in October. (Motorcycle accidents are all too common here, as people drive like maniacs and no one wears helmets). I think what happened was he shattered his ankle and it was never set properly, so he has been hobbling around on crutches for months. He probably needed surgery then, but it's gotten infected and he definitely needs it now. Because there is such a severe shortage of blood, in order to get the blood you need to have surgery you have to bring people to give blood in your name. Thus, when we were both asked, Tim and I decided that there was no way we could say no.

This hospital's blood bank is the best one in the country. That's not saying a whole lot but it really wasn't that bad. Clean and well air conditioned, and everything sterile. But still a far cry from what you see in the states. We waited for about an hour, and all that was required was to fill out a questionnaire. There was a slight concern that they wouldn't let me give because I forgot my ID, but they never asked for it, all they wanted were the numbers. After getting that done we decided to go visit Diana's brother.

I wish I had pictures for you to see.

We walked through hallways filled with people. Sitting on the floor, sitting on wooden benches lining the walls. Plaster and paint are peeling off everywhere, people are just looking at you with stoic faces- broken bones, infections, who knows what else. Diana's brother had been sitting on half of a wooden bench on the second floor with no windows and his swollen, infected foot propped up, for a day and a half. There are food vendors lining the sidewalk in front of the hospital because people stay there for so long, and they have to have food. And apparently there are bigger, older, and dirtier hospitals. I had to keep myself in check not to start crying at these people's conditon that they have no choice but to accept.

You also have to go buy all your supplies for your surgery and bring them with you. You get a list of things you need and without all of them, they won't operate. I can't imagine being in charge of getting my own supplies for my own surgery- I would have no idea what things were, if I was being overcharged, and if I was missing something. Money is simply not being given to medical needs here. The medical problems of the poor are probably at the very bottom of a very long list. Last I heard, Diana's brother was supposed to finally have surgery Thursday and he was at home waiting instead of at the hospital- but that was after 2 days of exhausting disappointment.

This is a great reminder of just how important blood is for us- in surgery, in life, and most importantly- through Christ. Where would we be without it? What an awesome way to help minister to someone! I have always felt very strongly about giving blood- when I finally turned 17 and was able to give, I went to the first blood drive I could find and lied about my weight so they would let me donate! :) (Don't tell the Red Cross... or make fun of me for being really skinny!) But in all seriousness, how can we deny someone something so important that is so easily given? Especially when Christ gave His blood and His life to save us from receiving the same fate. He didn't make excuses, how can we?

Please pray for the medical system here and that somehow things will be able to improve. Pray for the people that need medical attention and have to sit on the floor of a dirty hospital for days. Pray for the corrupt government to end. Pray that we can somehow help, even if it is just giving blood for someone who needs it.

And go give some blood!!

0 comments: