Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Things I Love About Paraguay...


1. Cows. In my front yard. When I walk outside to go to work. Buen dia, vaca!
2. The people. Never have I met so many people who genuinly care about everyone around them. Not just me. They'll help anyone out!
3. The air conditioning unit in my bedroom. I don't think there's a day that I don't thank the Good Lord Above for it. True story. May be slightly selfish of me, but you can't make me feel bad about it!
4. The buses. Many people are terrified of them, as they roar through streets barely pausing to pick people up and let people off. I think it's kind of fun. Like a really cheap amusement park ride. It does often hurt the bum, however.
5. The green. Yes, there IS a lot of brown. But the green is unbelievably green. The trees are incredible. Even the grass. If I wasn't scared of what had just pooped in it, I would lay down in it every day.
6. Their history! Yes, I am part nerd. This country has some amazing history, much of it tragic. It's fascinating to learn about!
7. The electricity that randomly turns off when it gets too hot. Yes, it scared me today when I thought I would have no air circulation. But it keeps things interesting.
8. Their yogurt. People- I am obsessed with this stuff. You buy it in a bag, cut the edge, and put it in a pitcher. It's like a delicious drink! USA-where has this BEEN all my life??? I currently have three in my fridge. It will not last long.
9. The way that God obviously has such a hand here. People are trying to change things. Churches aren't just sitting around watching. Everyone is INVOLVED in the COMMUNITY. Not always an easy task. But God is kicking some butt around here and it is awesome to watch!
10. Lastly, empanadas. Fried bread with meat inside is a VERY important part of a balanced diet around here. And I AM trying to be a local......

Sending love and 100 degree heat your way!

1 comments:

Cheryl & Sherie said...

Well, it will be 83 degrees here on Monday, so we're not too far off! =) You need to bring some of that yogurt back with you when you come home - it sounds amazing! Oh, and don't forget some empanadas too, lol! I'm glad to hear you have air conditioning and I don't blame you one bit for being excited about it. It's wonderful to hear how much you're loving it there - it makes it so much fun to read these updates! I pray that God continues to make your time there enjoyable and that He continues to grow you as you grow closer to that community. Take care, Em!!