Sunday, April 5, 2009

Recent Adventures- Abridged version




Well last week I, Emily Elizabeth Milner, was a 6th grade field trip chaperone. Lord, help them. And me. But it turned out to be a lot of fun! My group kept running away, but we saw some fun stuff! Here is a picture of my group (count 'em- all 6 at once!) at the first train station in South America, and a picture of a plaque given to Paraguay by the US (woot!) that is hanging with maaaany other plaques in the Parthenon.












Here you have the return of the famous Sue Givens, the director of Escuela Nuevo Horizonte, the school that I'm working at. They had a surprise program for her the day after she got back, and one of the classes had her help them with a traditional Paraguayan dance. Precious.













And HERE is Andrea's, one of the secretaries and a good friend, idea of a good time. If you aren't already aware, I have a deep, intense love of Guacamole- a type of food that is completely foreign to Paraguay. I find it sad and they find it hilarious that I am slightly obsessed with this food that sounds so disgusting to them. Another teacher at the school, Margarita, brought me an avocado from a tree at her house and when I walked into the office that afternoon Andrea had dressed it all up. And yes, I sang "Guacamole...mole...mole" to them several times.







Here is Margarita and I at one of the student's quincineras. Turning 15 in Latin America is a very big deal, kind of similar to a sweet 16 in the states. They served dinner and had music and it was a lot of fun! I think this one was pretty calm compared to most I've heard about. TONS of people, dancing until 2am. This party was pretty tranquil in comparison, but still great! :)



0 comments: