Sunday, April 12, 2009

Semana Santa

So this past week was Semana Santa, aka Holy Week, which means time for a week long break! Some schools actually even get 2 weeks. Not us though. :) The first part was very low key for me, I went to dinner with some people and we tried to go see a movie but we got there too late. Generally just a lay-around-and-do-nothing kind of thing. But Wednesday morning at 3am- no, that is NOT a type- I left with Andrea, her husband Charli, their son Thiago, and her mom Sara, to Ciudad del Este. It's a border town about 5 hours from Asuncion, where there is plenty of black market goods and a terrorist training camp (WHAT.) It's also 20 minutes from Brazil and Iguazu Falls. The Falls are one of the new 7 natural wonders of the world, and they completely deserve that title. They were AMAZING. Absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous. I only wish there were less people there so I could have enjoyed them more than trying to fight against people. But it was fabulous! We also did some shopping and visited Itaipu, which is apparently one of the 7 wonders of the modern world. So many wonders in that neck of the woods... Itaipu is the world's largest hydroelectric hydroplant in operation today. It's pretty amazing, we went on a tour during the day then saw it lit up at night- which was surprisingly beatiful. I am currently downloading the 210 pictures that I took to my computer and will post some below! But I know they won't do these places justice... We went to the Guarani museum and the zoo, and hit up some awesome grocery stores- yes, I said grocery stores! Brazil has food in their grocery stores that Paraguay couldn't even IMAGINE. I bought twix and gatorade and nutella and M&Ms. Ahhhhhh American goodness.
Overall, a great trip and I spent about the same there in 3 days as I do here in 3 weeks. Hm. So worth it though...
Iguazu Falls:































Itaipu:




























2 comments:

Jim said...

Oh, nice photos. It was rainy and totally overcast when I saw the falls. I'm glad you had the break - I'm sure you were ready for it.

Amber Rose said...

iguazu is amazing! i went there in 2006 after our summer project in argentina. def one of the coolest places i've ever been. great pics!