Thursday, April 16, 2009

Fuggedaboutit...

I think that you can really see a person's character when they get in a tight spot. Whether that's trouble with friends, jobs, finances, whatever the problem. What is your first inclination when something doesn't go as you expect it to? Do you try to find something or someone to place the blame on? Personally, I often go into pity-party-woe-is-me mode. And I have to talk everything out. I think that with all this financial stuff in the US things aren't going the way most people would like them too... Lives so full of panic that we no longer know how to function without it.

There is a whole heck of a lot of stuff in the bible about worrying and times of trouble and trial. Matthew 6:34 says, "Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." I think that may be one of the hardest things the Bible asks us to do- not worry. I know I fail at it constantly, probably daily. I'm sure there's a statistic somewhere that some smarty-pants somehow discovered that gives us an estimate on how much time- days, weeks, months- we waste worrying throughout our lives. I don't really care to see that number, I already know its big.

How do we solve this giant worry that infects our lives? If only I had an answer for that! The best thing I can come up with is to just forget it. Forget it and remember God. He is a God bigger than our car problems, bigger than our human relationships, bigger than our finances. Heck, He created every single person, animal and piece of nature you can see, and even more than we can imagine that we haven't seen!

Easier said than done...

My biggest worry right now is what to do with my life and finding a job when I get back to the states at the end of July. The END of JULY... FOUR MONTHS and I'm already in pre-panic mode. Hidden fairly well, but oh its there. So here's my plan/hope/prayer. I'm not going to worry about it. When I start freaking out- that's my cue to fall on my face and pray. I'm fairly certain my life will be one giant prayer for the next little while but I hardly think that's a bad thing! It's a giant, and incredibly difficult, leap of faith for anyone trying to just let go. And I can't expect things to go the way I want them to... they rarely do... when I stop relying on myself they usually turn out better. :)


Here are some other verses I found that talk about trials:

Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may recieve mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. Phillipians 4:6


I sought the Lord and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Psalms 34:4

I was pushed back and about to fall, but the Lord helped me. Psalms 118:13

Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us. Romans 5:3-5

3 comments:

Julianna said...

i found youuuu.

2 Cor. 9:8
Phillipans 3:10


love you. mean that.

Chad said...

Great blog Emily! Love your thought process and everything you said is TRUTH! HE will take care of you and you will receive the rewards that you deserve. Great Scriptures too, definitely a few that I live by. Take care!

Unknown said...

have i ever told you that youre amazing! Thanks for those verses, I've been stressing out about school something fierce and they hit hit home! keep up the good work!!!!