Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Un mes de mi vida.

So. Once again I fail at the blogging. It has been OVER a month since I've written anything about my life/adventures. Sorry all blog followers! (Let's be honest, interest has been dwindling anyway... you know who you are...)

So here is a bit of an update!

First things first- I WILL BE HOME IN 2 WEEKS. Yes, that is 14 days. From tomorrow. Wednesday July 30th, 2009 at 8:37am I *should* be cruising down the Charleston airport- barring any unforeseen airport dilemmas- with too many carry ons and a giant floppy Paraguayan hat, just in case people don't recognize me. Then I go into full-fledged Christa-and-Brandon wedding mode. (YAY!) My life is crazy. I love it.

As to other things that actually have BEEN happening in my life as opposed to things that WILL be happening:

  • I went to a heavy metal Christian concert in the city a few weeks ago. It was interesting. I actually liked one of the bands but then the screaming/screeching got a liiiittle too much for me. But it was a really cool way to evangelize to people who normally wouldn't be into the "Christiany" concert scene. This group actually has an entire heavy metal church, and one of their associate pastors killed 17 people and was in jail for 20 years or something. Talk about an amazing testimony!!
  • Latin American Idol came to town. No, I did not try out. But don't think I wasn't tempted. Although I did realize just how Americanized I am (duh) when I came back and was so excited to tell some of my friends about it and they looked at me with blank expressions... nice.
  • The school has OFFICIALLY begun it's first phase of building the poliodeportivo!! Translation: multi-purpose sports/music/classroom building. It is a HUGE deal for the school and desperately needed to continue to expand. So far it's coming along very well! Still raising funds though, so if you feel lead to give I'll give you a giant hug in 2 weeks when I come back. :)
  • We had Dia de la Familia last Saturday! The school has it every year in July when winter break starts and the whole family takes part. They start a few weeks before and do games for the parents and kids and encouraged a cleaning project for the school area around the neighborhood. It was so amazing to see everyone taking part and it really helps people take more pride in where they live. Trash is such a huge problem here, it's nice to see trash cans on the corners and fresh painted sidewalks and fences and even some flowers! (The little blue man picture now holds a trash can outside my front door). Everyone worked really hard. Then last Saturday we had the day of games! We Americans sang out national anthem since it was July 4th, too. We had hundreds of people come, the streets were filled and it was a long, exhausting day completely worth the pain. And, thank You Jesus, the rain started right AFTER everyone had cleaned up everything and put the last of the stuff back inside. :)
  • I'm on winter break for 2 weeks! Very strange phenomenon, winter break in July... Well, a week and a half down already. Last week I went with Carol, Donald, and their daughter Cora with 2 of their friends who came to visit from Texas (shout out to the Lone Star State!), Eric and Deb, to see the Jesuit Ruins! The trip was fabulous and proved to be a bit more challenging than originally expected. In the form of speed bumps. There must be hidden cameras all over Latin America just to laugh at the people who miss their whale-sized speed bumps and fly over them like Evel Knievel. But seriously, the ruins were gorgeous and we had a great time!
  • Today we took the 7th and 8th graders to the Expo. It's kind of like our fairs, but with less rides and more promotiony stuff. But we still had a great time! We rode the ferris wheel (while praying it wouldn't fall apart), saw the sweet-smelling cows, sheep, and horses, and just poked around for a few hours. And of course, ate.
Now I'm just hanging around and finding things to do, movies to see, books to read, people to visit, and sleep to catch up on, for the next few days until school starts again! Then it's time to start packing up the last 6 months of my life... please pray as the days start closing in! Pray for the people I leave behind, and for what lies ahead. And for a safe trip home! I'm kind of worried my awesome Paraguayan hat will get crushed. That would be tragic. I would also love to not have any problems changing planes or going through customs/immigration...

Ok, I promise to update again before I leave. Que Dios les bendiga!

0 comments: